The Trade Shop NPC is a burly man, with slicked-back hair, thick eyebrows, a fleshy nose, dead fish-like eyes, and has a short trimmed mustache. He wears a sleeveless T-shirt with a kanji (亀, kame) that translates to "Turtle" and also two bracelets around both of his wrists.
The Trade Shop NPC divulges information in a monotone voice.
His function is buying items from players (only in card form) in exchange for the island's currency which is Jenny in card form. He also sells information to players such as card functions and directions to the island's locations and also functions as a bank, where he takes players' Jenny cards for safekeeping.
Greed Island arc
Seeking a way off the island so Killua could take the 288th Hunter Exam, Gon, Killua, and Biscuit head to Masadora and inquire the Trade Shop NPC there for a solution to their problem. For 3,000 he answers that if the group heads 50km (30 miles) west they'll reach the only port on Greed Island. However, he warns the group that Harbormaster's perfidious and capricious nature. As an added bonus he mentions there's a rare card that allows you to leave the island but it is difficult to obtain.
Anime and Manga Differences
- The Trade Shop NPC from Masadora does not appear in the 1999 anime adaptation. And the information he gives for Killua to leave the game is also omitted.
- In the 2011 anime adaptation, the symbol on his shirt is the kanji for "sheep" (羊) instead of the one for "turtle" (亀); something that resonates with the shape of the Trade Shop in Masadora, a sheep-like head format.
Intertextuality and References
- The symbol on the Trade Shop NPC's shirt, the kanji for "turtle" (亀, kame) and the very design of the outfit indicate a reference to the uniform dressed by Master Roshi's disciples in the Dragon Ball series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Hunter × Hunter - Volume 15, Chapter 146
- ↑ Hunter × Hunter - Volume 16, Chapter 154
- ↑ Hunter × Hunter - Volume 14, Chapter 147
- ↑ Hunter × Hunter - Episode 80 (1999)
- ↑ Hunter × Hunter - Episode 65 (2011)